Svchost.exe is the important process of your Windows 7/8/8.1/10 operating system that contains the group of individual services. Windows uses these services for the various system functions. There can be multiple svchost.exe instances, and one instance may include several services. For example, one instance of svchost.exe may run the Windows services like DNS client, Windows update service, network connections, remote desktop services and more.
Though svchost.exe is the necessary process of Windows operating system, on some occasions, it also might be the reason for the high memory usage or 100% CPU hog, and this could affect the system performance gradually. If you experience the same issue, below troubleshooting methods helps you to fix svchost.exe high CPU and memory usage.
Fix for svchost.exe high memory usage and high 100% CPU usage problem:
This problem might be caused by Virus/Malware, Windows update services wuauserv netsvcs or Windows driver foundation wudfsvc service. You have to find which, service causing the issue before starting the tutorial. The below guide helps you to identify which service causes the svchost high memory and 100 CPU usage.
Solution 1: Identify which services in svchost does consume more RAM and CPU in Windows 10/8/7:
1. Open Windows Task Manager and Go to the process tab for Windows 7. If you are using Windows 8 or 10 systems, click on More details and go to the Details tab.
2. For Windows 7 users – Now, click on the show process from all users and wait until all the service gets loaded. Once everything listed, identify the high memory and CPU consuming svchost instance. Here, svchost in my Windows 7 PC consumes more than 500MB for an instance. (or)
Windows 8/8.1/10 users – Stay on the Details tab and identify the highest memory consuming svchost.exe service.
3. Right-click on that svchost.exe that you caught and select the go to service option. Identify the wuauserv and wudfsvc from the group of highlighted services and close them one by one, as the wuauserv (netsvcs) or wudfsvc services causing the svchost.exe high CPU usage and memory usage. To do so,
4. Right-click on the service that you want to close and choose stop services option. After closing the service, wait for sometimes and check your system stability. If your computer came back to the normal state, make a note of the service. Otherwise, close the other service and test the system performance.
5. If your system back to the normal performance after closing either wuauserv or wudfsvc netsvcs services, then windows update service or Windows driver foundation is the reason behind the high memory usage and CPU usage. Try to close the identified service whenever you feel the system performance was affected.
Note: If your computer’s svchost still consumes 100% CPU resources or memory, please go directly to the solution 2 and do not follow the below steps.
Disable the Windows update and driver foundation services:
Open Run command (Win Key + R), type services.msc and hit the enter button. You will get the services screen as like below.
Procedure to disable Windows update service:
If windows update service caused the svchost high memory or CPU usage, right click on the Windows update from the service list and select properties.
In the General tab, select the startup type as “Disabled” from the dropdown and hit the OK button. This setting disables automatic Windows update in your machine, and you have to perform the update manually if you need.
Disable Windows driver foundation wudfsvc:
If the CPU hog caused by wudfsvc, then right click on the Windows Driver Foundation and select Properties. In the General tab, change the startup type as “Disable” and hit the OK button.
Solution 2: Microsoft Windows update fix:
Note: This is the alternate fix if you do not want to disable the Windows update services. However, it will not work for every Windows 7 users and hence no guarantee to get the system performance back. Better you give a try to it before disabling any system services.
Microsoft recently provided a patch to fix the Windows update client issues on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008. You can also try this patch to repair the svchost.exe 100% high CPU and memory usage.
To download it, go to the Windows update client for Windows 7 page and download the KB3050265 named file. Once installed the update, you should restart your machine to take the changes in effect.
Solution 3: Solution to fix svchost.exe high memory usage by Microsoft hotfix:
According to the Microsoft recent article, the svchost may consume high memory and CPU usage if you installed Windows Management Framework 3.0.
Based on that article, users who installed Windows Management Framework 3.0 along with the Windows 7 service pack 1 or Windows Server 2008 service pack two operating system may experience the svchost.exe memory leak.
If you recently installed the update 2506143 or update 2506146 on the computer, refer this fix to solve svchost high memory usage by Microsoft.
Solution 4: Svchost virus fix to reduce high memory usage:
If you can find any unknown services other than wuauserv netsvcs or any other system services, then it might also be a svchost virus attack. Since it is a primary source in Windows operating system, the hackers target svchost to hack a particular computer through malware attacks. To find whether the svchost.exe service affected by malware, follow the below steps.
Go to task manager and right click on the svchost.exe, which consumes more RAM memory or CPU usage. Select the open file location from the menu. If the file is not available within the system32 folder, then the service is, of course, a malware program. For one more confirmation, you better to use Google search to find whether it is a virus. If you confirmed it is a virus, you better to use the below guide remove that malware.
You can also read:
- The must known tips and tricks for regular Google search users.
- Know the best ways to use the Cortana in your Windows 10 operating system from outside the United States.
Remove svchost virus by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:
Though there are lots of anti-malware programs over the internet, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is always excellence in its part. This anti-malware program prevents your system from malware attack. A perfect tool to remove the malware from any Windows operating system.
Just download the free latest Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version and install it on your computer.
Launch the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software from the desktop shortcut and select the scan now button.
Wait until the scanning process complete and move them all to quarantine. Once everything is completed, restart your system.
Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware not help you? Try other anti-malware products such as Hitman Pro, Iobit malware fighter, and Rogue Killer.
We hope this guide help you to fix the problem. However, if you are still facing problem to fix svchost.exe high memory and CPU 100% usage, comment below your queries we will assist you.